In front of the John Lennon Wall in Prague.




Monday, March 28, 2016

SOL 2016 Day 28: Really Only Four Days Left?


Two Writing Teachers Slice of Life March Challenge 2016
This March, more than 300 teachers have committed to daily writing. If you’d like to read more “slices” (from other teachers and even students), visit: twowritingteachers.wordpress.com/challenges.

Here I am, having posted for 27 days in a row. Some posts were more successful than on others, depending on the demands of daily life and my involvement level.  That's how writing goes no matter what the task. For a few days now I've been counting down, hoping I could make it to the end of the month. Now that there are only four more posts, including this one, I find myself feeling almost nostalgic. 

I've participated in such online challenges before. For the entire year of 2014, as part of a private Facebook group, I wrote and posted a haiku everyday (well, to be honest, almost every day. I missed 2 or 3). 

Writing haiku became so much a part of my life that I've continued with that group although I  admit I haven't written one every day. But every few days I find a haiku within me to post.

Last year I wrote a poem each day for NaPoWriMo as part of National Poetry Month.  National Poetry Month - April - starting four days from now.

And that's what I've been pondering as I reach the end of the Slice of Life Story Challenge. Am I up for another month of writing and posting? Can I come up with 30 poems? 

I find myself doubting my ability to commit in the same way I felt as March 1st rolled around for Slice of Life. But as I make it to the home stretch of this wonderful journey, I feel that maybe, just maybe I can keep going.

5 comments:

  1. New writing challenges. Looking forward to learning what you decide to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for writing about the poetry challenge, I think I would like to try it. I missed several days this year, not sure why though. Maybe a new challenge would help me get back on track

    ReplyDelete
  3. There must be something about nearing the end of a challenge that prompts us to think about other challenges-- setting the next goal. I have also been questioning whether I could maintain a new daily writing commitment. I didn't know about NaPoWriMo. I think "maybe I can keep going," too. Maybe I'll see you there! Glad I stopped to read your reflective slice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These challenges not only hold us accountable in some way, but also allow us to surprise ourselves with what we can accomplish. I am sure after a year of haiku you even dreamed in haiku! I am looking forward to poetry on April in my classroom. First, successfully complete March!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup- looking for new challenges here too. Congratulations on slicing here. I hope you will slice each Tuesday throughout the year- it is a great place to check in each week.

    ReplyDelete