In front of the John Lennon Wall in Prague.




Sunday, April 26, 2015

National Poetry Month: April 26, 2015

Today's Prompt:  Our last two prompts have been squarely in the silly zone – this one should give some scope to both the serious-minded and the silly among you. Today, I challenge you to write a persona poem – a poem in the voice of someone else. Your persona could be a mythological or fictional character, a historical figure, or even an inanimate object. Need some examples? Check out this persona-poem-themed issue of Poemeleon from a few years back.


Day 26:

“This is my letter to the world
That never wrote to me”

From Emily

Everyone believes my domain is simple.
Here in my white dress,
pen in hand, cool and unhurried.
What fire swells up inside,
words that shout to be set free.
No one understands.
Do they think I don’t desire
the world beyond these four walls,
yearn for a greater journey?
I open my father’s green atlas
tracing map lines.
I would wend my way
far from home,
but bird wings beating
in my chest won’t let me be.
Instead I write
my heart’s flight, trailing  
a silken thread.

2 comments:

  1. Lisa, great persona poem. I love the line "I write/my heart's flight" - just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete