In front of the John Lennon Wall in Prague.




Monday, April 20, 2015

National Poetry Month: April 20, 2015

Today, I challenge to write a poem that states the things you know. For example, “The sky is blue” or “Pizza is my favorite food” or “The world’s smallest squid is Parateuthis tunicata. Each line can be a separate statement, or you can run them together. The things you “know,” of course, might be facts, or they might be a little bit more like beliefs. Hopefully, this prompt will let your poem be grounded in specific facts, while also providing room for more abstract themes and ideas.


Day 20:

What I know

Like trees,
we should root ourselves
into the earth, snuggling deep,
but not forgetting to reach
our limbs high into the air,
stepping on tiptoe if need be,
but stretching up, up
to reach clouds water-laden,
then cradling them
with abundant love
so rain washes down upon us,
wetting our hair and skin,
nourishing our bodies,
filling us
until that clean fire
comes to burn
us away to ash.

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful poem. Wonderful images. I love "clean fire." Thank you! I'm going to try this prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruth, I loved this prompt as well. Actually this poem is the result of 3 prompts: What I Know, writing about the 4 elements and writing a poem in one sentence. I think they were a good combination. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for reading, Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete