In front of the John Lennon Wall in Prague.




Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Farewell to Poet Mother Maya

“Poetry put starch in my backbone.” — Maya Angelou

Years ago I was privileged to hear Maya Angelou speak before a large audience of teachers.  This statement that she made about the importance of poetry has stayed with me.  In fact I’ve had a poster with these words in my classroom ever since.  

This morning I woke up thinking about this statement.   Then I heard that Maya had died this very day.  I like to think she visited me as she went on her journey.  So like so many other writers around our country, I felt compelled to write about her.  How she would love to read all the poems written in her name.

Mother Maya passed
in dreams today reminding
me stand up stand tall

1 comment:

  1. I love this post, Lisa, and take heart from it...that you (and so many of us in the Haiku room and beyond), like so many grieving writers around the world, wrote a poem for her...may Maya crossing over, read them all. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete