In front of the John Lennon Wall in Prague.




Sunday, September 4, 2011

The tale of a teacher and his donkeys


Photo from:  www.bilinguallibrarian.com


 Yesterday I watched the POV production "Biblioburro," a film about Luis Soriano, a teacher in Columbia who has dedicated his weekends to bringing books to children in remote rural areas. I encourage you to check it out on the PBS website - it's showing until September 18, 2011. Link:POV - Biblioburro

Seeing this man ride his donkey great distances, fording rivers while carrying his library sign and tables put a new spin on the idea of dedicated teacher.  Everyday I try to figure out just how much more of myself I can give to my education.  Everyday I complain that the photocopies don't work, that there is another faculty meeting, that I have to grade too many papers. After watching this movie, all my complaints pale in comparison. Maybe next time I feel put upon and unappreciated I'll think about Luis and his donkeys. 

1 comment:

  1. Let's think also about how much Luis prefers his life to one of meetings and photocopiers. Makes me want to get my burro moving.

    ReplyDelete