In front of the John Lennon Wall in Prague.




Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Sea Ranch, June 2016: A room with a view and starting a book campaign

For the past few years, I've made an annual trek to the northern California coast to Sea Ranch. This is a rather other-worldly place. Made up of a community of cedar-sided houses perched on the edge of the Pacific, there is little to do here. In June, it's windy and chilly. The nearest town is tiny Gualala, 12 miles up the road.

So what's the draw? For me, it's the chance to be with an amazing group of women I met in 2011 at the AROHO retreat at Ghost Ranch in New Mexico. Another ranch, another place where there was nothing to do except eat, read, write, talk and experience the beauty of nature.

This year at Sea Ranch my bedroom is in the library of one of the houses we've rented. As I type this, I sit surrounded by books. Out my window, the ocean roars, gulls riding the wind currents. This is a glorious, wild place to begin my summer vacation.


Every year when I come to Sea Ranch, I set myself writing goals, just as I would expect of my own students. This blog post is the beginning of my first goal for 2016: begin a book campaign.

One of the wonderful women in my mighty band of writers here is Ruth Thompson who runs Saddle Road Press out of Hilo, Hawaii. I am honored that Saddle Road will be publishing my first full-length book of poetry in December.

Creating a book of poetry can be a long, painstaking process. I published my chapbook, In the Poem an Ocean (Big Table Publishing) in December of 2010. For the last six years, I've been slowly and steadily building a new collection of poems. And now my completed manuscript is in the hands of my trusty publisher.

Well, at least the first draft is in her hands! I know I have many revisions to go through before the book is ready to go out into the world. All writers can expect that. We may not like it, but we expect it. It's what writers do.

What many people don't know is the other work that goes into getting a book into people's hands, especially a book of poetry from a small press. And that's a marketing campaign. Most of my non-writer friends are surprised when I tell them that I will be responsible for marketing my book. But it's true. Being a poet and teacher, I never thought I'd have to add PR representative to my resumé. Now I am.

So in the next six months, I'm off on a new adventure of revision, choosing a cover -- and marketing. I know I'm not alone in this. I'm lucky to have writer friends who have given me great advice already. But I'm always looking for more ideas.

I'd love to hear from others, not just writers, who have have been on the same path. I know artists, photographs or filmmakers face the same challenges. What was it like for you to get your work known? Maybe I'll add your ideas to my to-do list.

16 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Lisa, on the good work you are doing as poet, teacher, and mentor! Yay on your forthcoming book. I am excited to buy and read your book when it comes out this winter. I don't have a lot of experience marketing my own works, but I would say treat your own work with the same tenderness and tenacity you would give a friend's work. I think promoting one's own work can feel a bit odd to folks who don't like to call attention to themselves - I have to remind myself that it is about giving attention to the work (not to myself) which has taken on a life of its own beyond me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martha, I will be honored to have you read my book. I'll keep you posted on how it's going. Thank you for your wise words about self-promotion. What a great way to look at this whole process: giving attention to the work and not myself. I hadn't ever thought of that before, but now I'll keep this in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I'll bet the slicing community or the Poetry Friday community would be glad to help you get the word out when you are ready! I want to go to Sea Ranch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carol, Thank you for your support. What a wonderful idea to use the amazing slicing community as a resource. And thank you for reminding me about Poetry Friday. I'll come back to them as well. Yes, go to Sea Ranch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Sea Ranch sounds amazing. And you are on such an exciting journey as a writer. Your next six months are going to be full of incredible learning. Hope you will write Slices along the way sharing your journey with this community.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa, thank you! I plan to write many slices along the way. I have missed you all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Congratulations! I love poetry, and your adventures are amazing! Jennifer Sniadecki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer! It's wonderful getting a chance to share my work with people. And Slicers like you are so encouraging.

      Delete
  8. Sea Ranch sounds like the perfect place to be with yourself and create. Congratulations on your book of poetry. That is quite an accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, Sea Ranch is a perfect place to create. Thank you for your encouragement about my book. Slicers like you are so kind.

      Delete
  9. What a beautiful spot to begin a beautiful journey! Congratulations on your book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I so appreciate you reading my post. It is a beautiful journey.

      Delete
  10. I haven't written enough to be in this position -- rather doubt I will be but do have a poetry blog so keep me posted. Use your networks ~ and share your poetry with us. Link, link, link...

    Lisa Rizzo Poetry and about A Room of Her Own Foundation (AROHO)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vanessa, I will keep you posted! Thank you for your support. You are so right about linking everything together and using my networks. That's one of the ways to get the word out - and I'm working on it!

      Delete
  11. Lisa, you'll be great at this! The PR is simply about taking it one step at a time. And you will actually find that it is fun - I promise! Think of it as an opportunity to share your book, with readers who want to hear your words. That's a good place to start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, you are my PR guru. I love the idea that it is an opportunity to share with readers who want to hear my words. I'll keep that emblazoned in my mind!

      Delete