In front of the John Lennon Wall in Prague.




Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Can I do this? -- Taking up the Slice of Life Story Challenge

It's been over three months since I last posted to this blog, and even that post was just a "hey, look at me" short notice of publications. No real writing, no real effort. That's been the issue with this blog ever since I took my new job.

When I started blogging, I knew who I was, I knew what this blog would be about.  I was a poet and middle school language arts teacher who loved to travel.

Four years later, I'm still a poet and still love to travel. What has changed? My job. After 23 years teaching 7th and 8th graders, I left the classroom to become an instructional coach for language arts teachers. I'm still an educator and I'm in classrooms all the time. But teacher? I no longer grade papers or create lesson plans. I don't go to parent-teacher conferences or bus duty. I'm no longer responsible for 90 or more 12 and 13-year-olds on a daily basis. It's hard for me to say "teacher" when I realize that all the things that make teaching so complicated are no longer part of my working life. It almost seems like it would be an insult to all the teachers I know who are still in the trenches.

I never expected these feelings to stop my blog dead in its tracks, but they have.




Then in the course of doing some research on how to help teachers implement writing workshop in their classrooms, I stumbled across the Two Writing Teachers website. What a wealth of information!   For weeks I've been reading posts on tips about writing workshop and sharing it with teachers I work with.

Inevitably, all this led me to the Slice of Life Story Challenge. According to their website, "the individual challenge began on Two Writing Teachers in 2008 and has grown each year. Adults, classroom teachers and their students across six continents participate in this weekly challenge as well as in the month-long challenge in March."

Basically, this challenge is designed to get teachers and students to write their own "slice of life" stories and share them with the world, to get them to embrace their own identities as writers. This is exactly what I'd like to inspire in the teachers I coach, hoping they will then bring this passion for writing to their students.

Since finding out about the challenge, I've been toying with the idea of contributing for months, but the idea of a daily challenge for an entire month sounded too daunting. Finally today I decided that I'd just go for it. After all, what better way to inspire others than by modeling it myself. Isn't that what teachers do? Maybe there is some teacher left in me after all.

So here is my first post. I have one more Slice of Life Tuesday to go before the March challenge begins, so I can see how it feels. All I know is, it's the first excitement I've felt about my blog in a long time.











17 comments:

  1. I'm delighted you're planning to join the March challenge, Lisa! That's great. It feels like a huge commitment (and it is), but it's a fun one.

    We're hosting a Twitter Chat tonight (search and tag #sol16 to participate) at 8:30 p.m. EST. Feel free to join us if you have any questions.

    Again, welcome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for welcoming me! I'll check in on the Twitter Chat tonight.

      Delete
  2. I didn't think I would be able to blog everyday last year when I first joined but I did and it felt great! Give it a try. I think you'll like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linsey, thanks for your encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful that you are blogging again and thinking about the SOL challenge in March. It's an awesome habit to develop. As I was reading your slice, I was thinking about the definition of "teacher." You said it's hard for you to call yourself a teacher anymore because you no longer work with students on a daily basis. I would encourage you to broaden your definition of teacher because from where I sit, I definitely think that you are a teacher. You are a teacher of teachers -- not an easy job by a long shot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic post. Isn't it funny how that shift happens-- from classroom teacher into whatever else--it leaves us all feeling a bit strange at first, I suppose. This challenge is fabulous--and I'm glad you are going to jump in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading this. I can tell you know the feeling of leaving the classroom. It becomes so much of one's identity, doesn't it. After all these wonderful comments, I'm already glad I'm jumping in!

      Delete
  6. Jennifer. Thank you so much for your comments about me still being a teacher! I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I'll think about your advice every time I doubt myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bravo! With 23 years teaching experience, you have permission to continue referring to yourself as a teacher, and I'm saying that as a teacher w/ 35 years in!

    I bet you have lots to talk about w/ your new position. I'll bookmark your blog and check back.

    BTW, I love your pic in front of the John Lennon wall.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glenda, I bow down to your 35 years of experience! I hope to see you back here again. And thanks for the kudos on the picture. Since there is a grammatical error in one of the slogans, it's like my own little English joke!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I read right past that "your" error. That happens when you've taught 35 years!

      Delete
  9. Welcome to the fun of slicing! You will love this experience! I look forward to reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah! So glad you are joining us. I am now retired but find this a great place to keep me thinking about the classroom, my personal writing and what it means to teach writing. A great place to share poetry as well. I will look for your posts as the month begins. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joanne! I've been thinking the same thing about this forum - what a wonderful way to combine my love of writing and teaching all in one.

      Delete
  11. Welcome to the Slice of Life community. It is a wonderful place to be! I hope you do participate in the March Challenge. It is isn't always easy, but so rewarding!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Leigh Anne, everyone (including you) has been so welcoming that I can't believe I didn't start this sooner! After reading so many posts today, I've definitely decided to participate in the March Challenge. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete