In front of the John Lennon Wall in Prague.




Sunday, September 29, 2013

A Red Woman Was CryingA Red Woman Was Crying by Don   Mitchell

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This book totally surprised me!  At first I was unsure if I would enjoy it, but I kept reading. There was something that unsettled me about the voices of the characters I met. And then I realized that what was unsettling me was also bringing me into the world of the novel, a world so different from my own.

My favorite story of the whole collection was "My White Man," partly because it was told by the only woman narrator in the book, partly because that story revealed so much about Eliot, the White Man who was so changed by his time with the Nagovisi. 

This was a good read.



View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. Hello Lisa -- "My White Man" is my favorite also. Although I love all my characters, I love Siuwako the most. In the novel that might get finished in another year, she's a crucially-important character. In fact, she's the most important narrator.

    -- Don Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don - What an honor to find out my ideas sync with those of the author! I'd love to see more of Siuwako. She was so self-aware and astute about human failings.

    ReplyDelete